CT Department of Revenue Services Introduces CT Fresh Start Program

Posted On: January 10, 2018  0 Comments

Behind on your CT individual or business taxes? Neglect to file or report the full amount? The Connecticut Department of Revenue Services has introduced its Fresh Start program.

The new program provides incentives to taxpayers to voluntarily come forward and pay their unreported tax liabilities. You may be eligible if you failed to file a return, or failed to report the full amount of tax on a previously filed return for any tax return due on or before December 31, 2016.
All taxes administered by the CT Department of Revenue Services (except for the taxes imposed under the International Fuel Tax Agreement) qualify for CT Fresh Start.

Qualified taxes include:

Income tax
Business entity tax
Sales and use tax
Withholding tax
Corporation business tax

Taxes and fees not administered by the CT Department of Revenue Services and therefore not included:

Local property taxes
Payroll taxes owed to the CT Department of Labor
Federal taxes owed to the IRS
Fees imposed by the CT Secretary of the State

Incentives for taking advantage of CT Fresh Start:

No Penalties.

Penalties will not be imposed on the tax you report and pay through CT Fresh Start.

Interest Reduced by 50%.

DRS will waive 50% of the interest on the tax you report and pay through CT Fresh Start.

Limited Look-Back for Non-Filers.

Certain non-filers may qualify for a limited look-back period.  See the Fresh Start Frequently Asked Questions for details on limited look-back periods.  Taxpayers who believe they qualify for a limited look-back period must call DRS at 1-877-729-6691 prior to applying for CT Fresh Start.

No Criminal Prosecution.

DRS will not initiate a criminal investigation or seek prosecution in relation to any application submitted and tax paid in good faith under CT Fresh Start.

Applications are being accepted through November 30, 2018. For more information on CT Fresh Start read the Frequently Asked Questions or call DRS at 877-729-6691.

If you need assistance preparing your back taxes or amended returns call our office at 860-216-2195 to discuss how we can help you.

Leave a Reply

XHTML: You can use these tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>