A new 2022 CT Child Tax Rebate was recently authorized by the Connecticut General Assembly and signed into law by Governor Lamont. You may be eligible for a child tax rebate up to a maximum of $750 ($250 per child up to three children).
To claim the new rebate, you must apply for it online by July 31, 2022. It is not a credit and will not be available to claim on a future CT tax return.
To be eligible, you must meet all of the following requirements:
- Be a resident of Connecticut;
- Have claimed at least one child dependent on your 2021 federal income tax return who was 18 years of age or younger;
- Meet certain income thresholds (Single filers with income less than or equal to $100,000, $160,000 or less for Head of Household, $200,000 or less for Married Filing Jointly qualify for the full rebate amount. Phaseouts apply for higher incomes).
If you have not yet filed for 2021 and do not do so before July 31, 2022 you will be ineligible for the rebate.
To claim the rebate you will need:
- Your federal adjusted gross income (line 11) from your 2021 federal income tax return;
- Your filing status from your 2021 federal income tax return;
- The full name, date of birth, SSN, and relationship to you for each child who was 18 years of age or younger as of December 31, 2021 (up to a maximum of three) you claimed as a dependent on your 2021 federal income tax return.
For other frequently asked questions and to claim your rebate, visit the CT Department of Revenue Service Portal below.